Why Rosie's Book?

While growing up, I had a dear friend, Renee, that lived next door and with whom I spent much of my childhood. We grew, in different directions, and went on our merry way. Many years later, I ran into her parents and they kindly reminded me of the laughs they still have over my book. “What book?” I wondered with a puzzled look. "I don't remember a book." Hardy laughter accompanied their response. At some time during our childhood, I tried to convince Renee about something that her parents didn’t agree with. I told her that proof of its truth could be found “in my book.” Naturally she went home and tried to convince her parents of the same thing but they weren’t falling for it. She needed an edge and told them emphatically, “It’s in Rosie’s book!” After they caught their breaths from reborn laughter, they let me know how “Rosie’s book” has been cited for many other things throughout the years. They’ve also mentioned that they’d like to see “Rosie’s book” one day. I can’t remember all of the things that I said were in “my book” but I’m sure my dear friend’s parents can recall much more than I ever knew about – LOL!!! So, here it is . . . my version of things you might find In Rosie’s Book . . .

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mini Clipboard Photo Display Easel

I've had so much fun decorating these mini clipboards distributed by Nicole Crafts.  They're made of unfinished wood with an easy to remove metal clip.  There is a metal insert on the back that can be used for wall hanging.  A dowel is included so it can be used as a standing easel too.

I picked up some 3.5" x 5" acrylic photo frames (magnet on the back) to protect my photo and embellishments from dust and handling.  It's a good fit and allows me to use my mini clipboard for writing on too.

This mini clipboard easel is handy for holding lists for groceries, crafting supplies needed, and other notes that I scribble on post-its.  It's also a good memory frame for holding photos of some of my favorite people.

To prevent painting the metal parts, I remove the clip simply by unscrewing the bolts on the back.

I decorated this purple mini clipboard by first applying the solid color using Eggplant paint dabber directly over the wood.  I used a sea sponge to dab some pearl alcohol ink with blending solution over the dry paint.  I stamped the saying using distress black soot.  Flowers were stamped using distress black soot and milled lavender.  I stamped another flower using distress embossing ink then embossed it with lavender embossing glitter.  I used golden rod stickles for tiny dots around the photo and some of the flowers.  I also dotted some flower centers with lavender stickles.  The frame was die cut using a Sizzix die and the photo was adhered behind the frame.
Here's how the base of the clipboard looks without the acrylic frame clipped over it.
 
The acrylic frame doesn't lessen the sparkle of the glitter here:

Here's a similar background with a crackle stamp added to the surface:
I added glitter to some stamped shells for a light embellishment for this playful photo of my daughter running in the ocean.

 

Here's another cool look using army colors and my attempt at creating a camouflage effect for a clipboard display that holds a picture of my sister's son, a fine soldier, and a pretty cool nephew too.
Sizzix die cut frames, scalloped rectangle or oval, fit nicely into the acrylic frame. 
 The small die cuts and punches work nicely for layering coordinating embellishments in small areas.

Decorating these mini clipboard photo display easels has allowed me to experiment with different techniques and try to achieve different looks.  I'm happy with the results.  Printing color photos in black and white is a nice change.  Color photos look great too.  Different shapes of frames are as appealing as using masculine and feminine die cuts and punches.  It's possible to achieve a dimensional look even when the surface has to remain flat.  This is a useful and functional item that holds photos, provides a surface for writing and keeps lists of needed items and other important information in an easy to find place.  It's all good . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice Project Rose, they all look nice. I would make one, but I have no place standing or wall space to put one!! Need to revamp my household!! But at this point in my life, don't know if I have the energy!!

See you tomorrow. I am doing half day in the afternoon with you tomorrow and then next Friday for your other monthly class, all in one day would be too long for me.
Ciao
Donna

Andrea C said...

these are extremely cool and the photos are great x