Why Rosie's Book?

While growing up, I had a dear friend, Renee, that lived next door and with whom I spent much of my childhood. We grew, in different directions, and went on our merry way. Many years later, I ran into her parents and they kindly reminded me of the laughs they still have over my book. “What book?” I wondered with a puzzled look. "I don't remember a book." Hardy laughter accompanied their response. At some time during our childhood, I tried to convince Renee about something that her parents didn’t agree with. I told her that proof of its truth could be found “in my book.” Naturally she went home and tried to convince her parents of the same thing but they weren’t falling for it. She needed an edge and told them emphatically, “It’s in Rosie’s book!” After they caught their breaths from reborn laughter, they let me know how “Rosie’s book” has been cited for many other things throughout the years. They’ve also mentioned that they’d like to see “Rosie’s book” one day. I can’t remember all of the things that I said were in “my book” but I’m sure my dear friend’s parents can recall much more than I ever knew about – LOL!!! So, here it is . . . my version of things you might find In Rosie’s Book . . .

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Copic Creations Reflections Challenge

The team over at Copic Creations has presented a considerably tougher challenge with their feature on reflections.  Suzanne Dean, a member of the Copic Creations Design Team, is offering one of her online Copic classes to the random winner of this challenge.  You can find out more about this challenge and Suzanne Dean here.

My craft table has a shiny wooden surface and I often see reflections there.  Silverware and other metal pieces may reflect from the shiny surface of a dining room table.  With that said, here is my attempt at showing the reflective qualities of copper metal onto wood. (See my recent post on Using Copics for Copper Metal Things here.)

This Large Pail stamp is from Stamps by Judith.  I stamped the image first using Memento Tuxedo Black ink onto Bazzill Smooth White cardstock.  I drew a short grounding line on each side of my image using a Copic Multiliner.   To help me with sizing the reflection, I used Memento London Fog ink to stamp the same image onto my Stamp-a-ma-jig mat then quickly turned it over, lined it up with the bottom of the black pail and laid the gray image down.  It gave me a very light outline of the original image in reverse.


I filled the pail and its reflection using Copic colors E33, E37, E39, E02 and a little R37 in the handle.

I used a ruler and Copic Multiliner 0.03 to draw fine lines to resemble wood.  Then I filled the wood area by deliberately streaking E31, E35, E47, W3 and W5, right over my reflective shades.


I used Spellbinders Labels 8 to die cut and emboss around my image.  Using a mask over the pail and wood, I airbrushed a light layer of G24, G21, B21 and R37 for the background.  I used My Minds Eye Penny Lane Free Bird "Beauty" Charmed Stripes to create my card.  After adhering the card elements, I added a few curled paper strips and applied a little Flower Soft in shades of Vintage Christmas.

Here's a picture of the completed card that shows where I think I've fairly represented the reflective qualities of copper metal on wood.  Now, how do I keep my pail from sliding down that sloping surface? - LOL!!!  Woe is me and my Copic dilemmas - LOL!!!

 
 
 
 



"In The Spotlight" Designer Sept 1, 2010 Copic Creations
 

28 comments:

Jane Wetzel said...

Holy cow girl! This is AMAZING! What a fab job you have done- glad to have found your blog! hugs- and thanks for joining in with us at Copic Creations! :)

Unknown said...

Wow is right Rose, what an awesome job you have done!! You are so goooddddd!!!
That really is fantastic work!! Enjoyed it much.
Donna

Unknown said...

Now you need to redoe that picture with some water dripping down the side of the pail and a little puddle on the table!!! Make your work harder!1 :))).

"Kirby" (KrB) said...

My goodness, Rose, this is gorgeous! You did this so cleverly and it turned out beautiful! Thanks so much for joining us for this challenge at Copic Creations.

Jami said...

HOLY SMOKES! That is soooo realistic and so amazing! I am in awe at that reflection!!!

Ann said...

You are such a talented artist! It's a pleasure viewing your work and the process!

Cheryl said...

OMGoodness, Rose! Can you teach me to color? Your pail is fabulous and the reflection on the wood is genius! I don't have enough adjectives for how great this card is!

Jodi said...

WOWZERS!! Rose this is just beautiful and AWESOME!! It looks so real! Thanks for joining us at Copic Creations!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Katie Cotton said...

this is absolutely phenomenal! A FANTASTIC take of the challenge! Thanks so much for playing with us!!!

Lilian said...

I am agreeing with everyone...your reflection coloring is stunning! Thanks for the tutorial and Thanks for joining Copic Creations challenge!

Suzanne J Dean said...

BEautiful work and that looks just like real copper--stunning! Thanks for joining in with us on the challenge!

hugz,
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

O-M-GOODNESS!! This is totally amazing! Wow. I love everything you do, but this is my VERY favorite Rose! It is so realistic looking! I love it! I'm soooooooooo glad you could join us at Copic Creations and you definitely must join us again! hugz, Mary

Unknown said...

Oh my. This is just AMAZING. AMAZING how you did it! I'm in awe.

Kecia said...

WOW!!! Loving the copper bucket and how much you added to make this such a realistic scene. Totally fabulous!

stick said...

Wow, this is amazing work! I had to bookmark it to refer to for coloring metal surfaces, thank you!

Donna Mackenzie said...

Wow! That is beautiful, so realistic looking! Thanks for sharing the "how to" with us.

de said...

WOW! This is amazing! And thanks for the tutorial though I don't think I could achieve such amazing results as yours! It looks 3D!

Cindy H. said...

WOW, what awesome coloring!!! This is soooo fabulous!!! Thank you for sharing how you did it, too:)

Cards By MI said...

This is totally amazing! Such great colouring! It's just WOW! It looks like it stands out of the floor, 3D. It's totally stunning!
xMarie

Patty Sue 2 said...

Wow! This is amazing, I love that you showed everyone how to do this! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for inspiring me!

Jan Castle said...

Now to get a bucket stamp and give this a try. It looks sooooooooooo real! Thanks for showing us how!!!
Jan Castle

the PaperTemptress said...

WOW WOW WOW WOW, it truly looks like a photograph! Amazing job! I want to color like you!! I wish I could take your class but on the other side of the country!
Patricia
the PaperTemptress

Sharman DeLuca said...

This is just beautiful. I found it on another site and looked all over for your site so that I could see it and read your tutorial. It is just beautifully done. Congratulations.. Sharman

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, wow...I now know I am a 4yr old in an adult world of coloring. This is beyond amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

LindaH said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! ....OMG....i'm picking my jaw off the floor now. i am totally blown away by this!

Kim Costello said...

WOW Rose this is magnificent, the reflection is so beautifully coloured, I'm eager to have a go myself now LOL! Thanks for sharing your stunning work, HuGs Kim :)

Andrea C said...

Wow this is so super impressive what a little work of art x

Linda Carson said...

BRILLIANT!