Why Rosie's Book?

While growing up, I had a dear friend, Renee, that lived next door and with whom I spent much of my childhood. We grew, in different directions, and went on our merry way. Many years later, I ran into her parents and they kindly reminded me of the laughs they still have over my book. “What book?” I wondered with a puzzled look. "I don't remember a book." Hardy laughter accompanied their response. At some time during our childhood, I tried to convince Renee about something that her parents didn’t agree with. I told her that proof of its truth could be found “in my book.” Naturally she went home and tried to convince her parents of the same thing but they weren’t falling for it. She needed an edge and told them emphatically, “It’s in Rosie’s book!” After they caught their breaths from reborn laughter, they let me know how “Rosie’s book” has been cited for many other things throughout the years. They’ve also mentioned that they’d like to see “Rosie’s book” one day. I can’t remember all of the things that I said were in “my book” but I’m sure my dear friend’s parents can recall much more than I ever knew about – LOL!!! So, here it is . . . my version of things you might find In Rosie’s Book . . .

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Layout Challenge: American Crafts I Do

Oh what fun it can be to take a line of paper that was made with a specific theme in mind and use it for something unexpected.  That's what I did with this American Crafts I Do Bouvardia and Hydrangeas double-sided patterned paper.

Here's how the products looked before I began.  This photo shows the monthly Scrappers Cove layout contest kit:  American Crafts I Do Bouvardia and Hydrangeas, Bazzill pink bling and gray, Memento Dew Drop in Cantaloupe and a variegated grey ribbon.


I used the tree die from the QuicKutz Cookie Cutter tree and birds set to create a disposable cardstock stencil.  I taped it over the background layers of my layout.  (The pink layer is cut from the Sizzix Bigz Pro Ornate Square die.)


Once that was in place, I used Ranger's Adirondack Paint Dabber in Mushroom to cover the inside of my tree stencil.  While the paint was still wet, I quickly sprinkled lots of Sparkle N Sprinkle Crystal Ice Glitter over the paint.

While that was drying, I used some Bazzill Basics embroidery thread to hand stitch a little border along a photo mat.  I used the QuicKutz 12" Flourish border die cut in an attempt to dress up the area under the ribbon.

I die cut my title from chipboard and patterned paper using Sizzix' Shadowbox alphabet then stamped over it.  Spreading some Ranger's Rock Candy Distress Stickles over the title letters, really made them sparkle.  A few cuts to the Sizzix pine tree, covered in glitter mixed with white Flower Soft continued the flow of the wintry-cold Christmas theme of my layout.




Here's how the completed layout looks:


I think that enough of the sparkly bare branched tree shows and adds another layer of that wintry-cold Christmas feeling.

No comments: